Acrylic (also known as Polymethyl-Methacrylate or PMMA) is an amorphous thermoplastic. The material offers a high strength to weight ratio, is optically transparent and unaffected by water. Often used as an alternative to glass, it should not be considered for structural applications due to the thermoplastic’s poor impact resistance. Trade names for Acrylics include Acrylite ®, Lucite ® and Plexiglass ®.
Whilst acrylics are not recommended for use with chlorinated or aromatic hydrocarbons, ester or ketones, the material is unaffected by aqueous solutions of most detergents, acids, alkalis and laboratory chemicals.
Typical commercial applications for ACRYLIC (PMMA) engineering plastic include:
- Liquid chemical pumps, water tank liners
- Master cylinders
- Dashboard lighting
- Hard contact lenses, helmet visors
- UV resistant, low water absorption
- Good insulation properties
- Good stiffness and abrasion resistance
- Clear / colourable - clarity is excellent
We stock Acrylic (PMMA) in sheet, rod and tube. We welcome stock enquiries from both domestic and international customers.